Saturday, September 30, 2017

Grinding Out A Victory


I know I have done a lousy job keeping up with this blog, and for that I apologize.  Since my last blog entry, so many twists and turns have taken place, so I will attempt to catch you up.  

My neck is not getting any better, but I have gotten used to the pain.  Just sitting for long periods at a time still makes it hurt and my arms go numb....so I have learned to type faster  lol  After the season I will probably get this ruptured disc cut on or something....but I will not be doing anything for a few months. We have a long season ahead of us.  

Since my last entry, we had a major hurricane pass right through us.  Hurricane Irma came though and messed things up for awhile.  Many of us (including me) were out of power for about a week.  Also, the storm caused us to cancel a couple games.  However, we just found out that we will be playing Tallahassee Lincoln High School on October 20th (instead of having a bye-week)  Lincoln is a very iconic and tough program in the State of Florida just like us.  The match-up is great...but it does cause me more headaches.  Lincoln is no joke.  Oh well, like Ric Flair says: "To be the man...you have to BEAT the man"   

My Son Mike and Grandson Mason

Check this photo out.  This is my son Michael and his son Mason.  Mike and family (Wife Alex and Son Mason) are going to a military funeral out in Colorado.  I love to get photos of Mike in his dress blues; unfortunately, I do not get very many of them. Mike is absolutely my hero these days, and he is probably the bravest man I know.  An Infantry fighting man never backs down from anything.  Mike is the reason I have such a strong stance about anti-flag and anti-country demonstrations.  I am so very thankful to be associated with Vero Beach High School  where this type of thing does not or has not happened.  When you see me standing at attention during the national anthem...now you know exactly what (or whom) I am thinking about.  I take this chance to honor my son and my country very seriously.  

Granddaughter Kirby.  

I am excited that my buddy Chris Hiser is streaming the games on our YouTube channel.  This gives my kids (all living out of the area) a chance to follow our (PawPaw's team) every game.  Apparently, my granddaughter Kirby is quite the Fighting Indian Fan...she sends me a note before every game.  Last night I was blessed to have a chance to send the kids a PawPaw shoutout during the broadcast.  I was thrilled to have the chance, and I heard the kid's eyes got big and they just squealed when they heard their name over the airwaves.  

Now on to Football:

Lineman of the Week vs Pahokee  Hunter Riggins 

The hurricane really screwed things up with our schedule.  Back to back games (Dr Krop- Ft Lauderdale) were both cancelled.  We came back and played 1A  powerhouse Pahokee last week and beat them 28-12.  Pahokee had great athletes at every position, great speed, and they were very physical.  Our offensive line played outstanding, and this allowed our big running back Akeem Dixon to gain 240 yards on the ground.  Hunter Riggins had another outstanding game, and he again won the "Lineman Of The Week" award for the second time.  Our first back to back winner.  


Last night we lined up against district rival Port St Lucie Centennial at Billy Living Field.  The Eagles were undefeated coming into the game last night, and we were expecting a real fight for our first district matchup.  Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate very well, and the game was not played in optimal conditions.  It was wet and sloppy all game long which turned the game into a ground war on both sides.  Coach Jankowski (Lenny) is a genius when it comes to formations and plays in both the running game and passing game.  Luckily, we are not a one dimensional team, and even better for us,  Akeem Dixon thrives in these conditions.  We ground out a 30-3 Victory to take the lead in our district. 

I feel so blessed to be a part of this great organization.  We have great coaches, great players, and absolutely the best booster club in all of Florida.  

See you soon. 

GZ 




1 comment:

  1. It is great to see Mike and his family! I could not be more proud of him!!! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete