Saturday, September 1, 2018

VICTORY: 46-0


My Boys (L-R)  Daoovan-Logan-Bryan-Bobby)  

MY boys....sounds funny doesn't it?  Years ago I remember my daughter Kristin estimated she had about fifteen hundred (1500) brothers who once played for me.  I guess by now the number is well over two thousand  (2000) considering I have been doing this for 34 years.  I do feel like all these boys are my kids, and I try to connect with each of them personally if I can.  Afterall, these are SOMEBODY'S kids, so I try to be that role model for them on the field.  It's not always easy, but it is always rewarding for me to see the players mature and perform on the field while I try to teach them "Lessons In Life" along the way.  Teaching these life lessons are part of our job as coaches, and it is much more difficult  than teaching the X's and 0's.  I always like to tell the kids: "High School Football Only Lasts Four Years, But You Will Spend The Rest Of Your Life Remembering It!" 


=================================================================
Bryan on a nice run!  

Vero Beach: 46 Wellington 0

Last night we beat Wellington 46-0 in the Citrus Bowl.  Do not let the score fool you, Wellington was a big and athletic team deserving of their undefeated record.  For most of the first half, they went toe to toe with us in this physical game.  However, our defense was playing very well, and our offense scored on most possessions.  Finally, our running game opened up and we started gashing them...of course that opened up our passing game.  If both parts of our game are clicking, then I think we are difficult to stop.  I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders a little bit, for I coach the running backs, and in my mind I was blaming myself for our lack of productivity rushing the ball.  Our offensive line is getting better and better each week, so running the ball is becoming a little easier.  Thank god...now I may be able to sleep at night.  This team may surprise some people at the end of the year.  

Have you ever wondered what it is like on our electric sidelines on a Friday Night?   Our sidelines are like no other I have seen at a high school game.  It is noisy on our sideline. With our great band blasting, our cheerleaders chanting, and our huge crowd cheering,  normal verbal communication is very difficult.  Most of the time we are not yelling, we are trying to communicate with each other.  I am thankful I get to wear headphones, so my job is a bit easier.  Our sideline is also very crowded.  With the players, coaches,equipment, press, media, and guests, just navigating the sidelines is sometimes difficult.  This is where my signs are important, because the players can always find where they are supposed to be on special teams.  But, this is Vero Beach Fighting Indians Football...there is no place I would rather be.  

Turnover Cape 
Coach Rahal with Turnover Cape Inside 
Rahal With The Secret Case 

The Turnover Cape premiered at home for the first time on Friday Night.  My wife Marty (The Cape Creator) was in the stands, and she got to see the cape in all its glory for the first time.  Coach Rahal is having fun carrying the turnover case around with him before the game which works his players into a frenzy.  After halftime, I sarcastically mentioned to Rahal that we had no turnovers.  Two possessions later Jafari recovered a fumble, ran to the sideline,  and Rahal "Caped Him"  The crowd went crazy.  Then the flood gates opened and we had three other turnovers shortly after.   Each time, the crowd would chant: "Cape, Cape, Cape"  The players had great fun with it.  I was told the television (you-tube announcers) are looking for a sponsor for the cape and they are deciding on theme music to play on the jumbo tron for when it is awarded.  I am hoping for James Brown "I Feel Good" myself.  

All this hoopla for a simple idea that went viral.  I love this program. 

GZ   

2 comments:

  1. I am with you!!! These boys are our kids! They are lucky to have a man like you in their lives! And I love the cape..I want to steal that idea!!! Good luck this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete