Monday, July 30, 2018

1st Day In The Books



The alarm went off this morning at 6:30 am.  Luckily I got all my things together the night before, so getting dressed and loading my truck was easy.  I was out the door at 6:45am.  I stopped by Cumberland Farms to get my morning Diet Dr. Pepper and Banana,  and I was on my way to pick up one of my players by 7:55 am.  The drive to our practice facility was quiet, for my mind was on what I needed to do once I got there.  Coach Jankowski  (Coach J) had scheduled a mandatory 8am team meeting;  consequently, I did not / would not want to be late for this season starting session.  I grabbed six (6) half rounds  and one stand up dummy for my morning drills.  I set them up on my end of the field and quickly rehearsed what I had planned  for the early Indy (Individual) period.  Once I finished setting up the field, I stopped to enjoy the moment for a little bit.  The morning dew was still covering the field, and the moist grass permeated my nostrils with the sweet smell.  I could see the tire tracks of AJ's (team trainer) golf cart in the wet grass as he too was getting ready for the morning steam bath we call football practice.  As the players and coaches started making their way down to the portable for our 8am meeting, my heart started racing...then I knew I had made the right choice by coming back.  I was in my element.  Season 34 was about to begin.  

The practice was uneventful as usual.  The kids were still pretty stiff from the FCA camp, so I made sure to get a good warm-up with my boys.  Coach J's practices are well scripted, so we know exactly what time we start, and what time we finish each day.  We know exactly what we are working on each day, and exactly what will be covered.  I think this is one of the reasons why Coach J's teams are so successful.  His attention to detail is amazing.   Remember the player who went to the hospital after getting hit at the FCA Camp last Thursday?  Well, he was back at practice today and told me he has a bruised lung.  He will sit out for a few days before being cleared to practice.  Pretty impressive after spending the night in intensive care.  I remember his daddy being pretty tough too.  

New Belt Arrived:  Awaiting Decoration 

Last Years Belt  (Jarvis Jones)  

Last year I started the "Lineman Of The Week" awarded to the lineman who grades out the best from the previous game (Even though I no longer help the offensive line, I wanted to continue the award for the most unappreciated players on any football team)  Each game is graded by the offensive line coaches (play by play) and whomever grades the best gets to keep this authentic championship belt for the entire week. It is their belt for the week..they can take it anywhere they wish.  The award is open only to offensive linemen only, and and any grade level is eligible.  Of course I play it up by calling them "Champ" the whole week. My wife Marty will design the new belt using ideas from our senior players.  

More Tomorrow.  

GZ  

No comments:

Post a Comment