Monday, November 19, 2018

Lost: 19-7


I dropped my head as the clock ticked down the final few seconds of the game.  Practicing on Thanksgiving Day was just not going to happen this year.  I removed my headphones and thought briefly about not joining the team handshake line.  I just wanted to start my post game ritual of collecting the things I am responsible for after each game.  But, this is not what we teach our players about sportsmanship, so I sucked it up and congratulated the opposing team for their well-deserved victory.  Truthfully, I wanted to throw up, for my emotions were getting the best of me as I slowly walked to our sideline pondering my future as a football coach.  Man....is it really going to end like this?  


We had a great week of practice leading up to the game.  The kids seemed loose while we put in the game plan for Dr. Phillips (DRP) .  However, the game itself did not go exactly as planned.  Just as we figured, the defending state champions were very physical, with lots of athletes on both sides of the ball.  They were very well coached and pretty much controlled the game from the very start.  Our kids fought hard, but DRP was the better team on Friday night.  Still, the bitterness of defeat is tough to swallow for a bunch of kids who are not used to getting beat.  



"Coach, It Went By So Fast"  

A high school football career only lasts four years.....and believe me, the time passes rapidly.  When I started at VB four years ago, these kids were incoming freshmen.  Now, they have become young men heading off into adult life.  As you might imagine, emotions were pouring out of some of these kids as they got hugs and handshakes from each coach.  There may have been a tear or two by some of the coaches as well.  I will never get used to this gut wrenching moment, but I guess this is what makes us human.  Love is not a word used on the gridiron very much, but I genuinely love my kids, and I do not like seeing them upset.  

Bryan
Daonovan 
Logan
Bobby  

To my boys: Bryan, Daonovan, Logan, and Bobby.  I am so proud of you all.  I will fondly remember coaching you guys this year.....and I love the personal relationship I have built with each of you.  I know at first you were probably thinking: "Who is this old guy coaching us this year?"  I hope I put your curiosity at ease, and I hope you realized I truly cared about each of you as a person....not just about you as a player.  This is sort of what my coaching style has morphed into the past few years.  I appreciate the total respect each of you have given me this year; naturally, this is a clear sign of how you were raised by your parents.  There is a place in my heart for each of you, and a place in my heart for our group as a whole.  Going to miss you.  

===================================================================

I want to thank our BOOSTER CLUB for their total support this entire season.  We have the best booster club in the State without a doubt.  You have spoiled us rotten the entire season, and for this I am so grateful.  Sure makes our life easier as a coach.  I am happy to call each of you a friend from now on.  Also, special thanks to our buddies at Christian FM for supporting our football program like you do.  Our broadcast team is second to none.  Keep putting out those PODCASTS too.  

Finally, I want to thank my wife Marty for putting up with me again this season. Without her, my football coaching ideas would never come to life.  Marty helped me design The Championship Belt (for lineman) The Turnover Cape, and The Field Signs.  She has sewed more uniforms than I can count, and she has cooked for the coaches (on Sundays) so many times.  I always say: "I have A Great Football Wife."  For her, I am grateful.  

With this, I am closing out this blog for 2018.  I have just finished my 34th season of coaching.  I have no idea of what my future holds.  I am tired.  Right now I want to recharge my batteries, maybe get my knee fixed, and do a little fishing.  Maybe 35 years is possible afterall.    

Thanks For Reading!  

GZ

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your time -I enjoy reading your articles! Thank you to your wife for her time-every person is important to be able to make it all happen for us as fans on Friday night❤️
    I don’t know all the players names or even understand the plays-lol-but this old lady loves to be a part of the Friday Night Lights
    And watch our community come together to support “our boys”. I know everyone works harder than I could even imagine and sacrifices so much time-and we do appreciate all that you and the other coaches do for our youth. I didn’t want to leave the stadium Friday nite-I hate the last game of the season-win or lose- the end of a fan’s routine is sad too. But next season will return and god willing so will we both! Enjoy your time off and thank you again! We all love our Fighting Indians Football��❤️

    ReplyDelete