Saturday, November 10, 2018

Round 1 Playoff VICTORY


Last night we defeated Kissimmee Gateway 48-6 in the opening round of Florida's 8A playoffs.  Everything was clicking for us as we rolled up 501 in total offense.  Once again, our defense stepped up and shut Gateway down....pretty impressive considering Gateway came into the game averaging over 25 points per game from a good rushing and passing attack.  We were not perfect, and we still have some stuff to clean up for sure, but I feel really good about this team.  Is this our year?  I can't answer that, but I know for sure we are playing Dr. Phillips (at home) next Friday night.  I refuse to look any further than next week.

All four of my boys had a good night.


Bryan Primus Winston (#21)  once again carried the load rushing for 100 yards on some classic runs before being pulled just after halftime.


#28 Logan Amaral had a good night with some key blocks and a wildcat touchdown which featured his power.  Unfortunately, it was called back for a procedure call, but still it was nice.  


Daonovan Gilchrest (#27) had some great special teams play, to go along with his key rushes to close out the game.


Finally, Bobby McMillan (#8) showed what the future holds for VB Running backs as he scored on a nice 22 yard run, and gained significant yardage on a few other runs.  






You know, its funny, but I am like a proud father when my kids do well and contribute to a victory.  I do love these kids and celebrate when they do well.  

=================================================================

I am so blessed to be coaching at Vero Beach High School (VBHS) at this level, especially when so many coaches my age have been put out to pasture. I was feeling pretty pathetic just hanging out in the bleachers during my time off from coaching (when we left Sebastian River High School)  My dad had just died, and I had nothing left to motivate me anymore.  I felt like such a loser, especially considering my previous HS career at Sebastian was so rewarding.  Coach Bethel came to my rescue....finally my loyalty paid off.  Bethel arranged a meeting with (VBHS) Head Coach Lenny Jankowski, who gave me a job as a coach.  I had no specific responsibilities, but I was doing anything to prove myself  and help out where I could. I am a hard worker anyway, so making the lives of the regular coaches a little easier is where I could fit in.  I was learning the (VBHS) way of doing things, and I was learning Lenny's offensive system.  Finally, it happened.  There was an opening to coach running backs on our staff...and Lenny offered it to me.  I was thrilled, and I vowed  to coach the hell out of my group.  Afterall, I was taught by the best...my dad....and Coach Bill Wilson Sr.  

I realize I was a long shot hire at best. I know Lenny took a chance that I may have something left in the tank for today's youth.  These kids are almost young enough to be my grandchildren.  Surely there are younger coaches who would love to be given a chance to coach in a premier program like ours, but I can offer something they do not have....thirty four years of experience!  I am having the time of my life.  Again, I am so blessed to be here at Vero Beach High School.  I take nothing for granted.  

GZ   

No comments:

Post a Comment