Sunday, August 16, 2020

FINALLY! New Year-New Life!

2017 Lineman Of The Week Belt

Not much to write about until recently.  FINALLY, we were given clearance to start regular (if there is such a thing) football practice on July 24th.  We have been waiting for this day since we were ordered off school grounds in March.  We are way behind.  We missed Spring Football practice.  We missed our Spring football game.   We missed 7 on 7 over the Summer.....dozens of them.   We had to adapt to these new Covid19 and Social Distancing regulations.  We have learned new ways to keep our kids and our staff safe.  We have worked out close to 175 kids all summer without any problems, so I guess we are doing a decent job.  One more week of summer conditioning, then we can put on a helmet and get back to the new normal....whatever that may be.  I am sure we are not alone at being behind...everyone is behind no doubt  So, it will probably take us a few weeks to come up to speed along with everyone else.....I hate being sloppy though.  I guess I am allowed to say that.  

Generally speaking Vero Beach Football plays a pretty good statewide schedule against known football powers.   This year will be different for everyone.  We are going to play a local Treasure Coast schedule against other local teams.  I am looking forward to this; for Its been a few years since I have seen some of the teams we will be playing.  During this time of a Pandemic, this is a way to keep our athletes playing in the Treasure Coast bubble,  and not travel so much to other areas that may  be having a hard time with outbreaks.  We will still be playing all of our normal district opponents, but I am not sure how the playoff system works yet.  I will find out shortly.  



This is my Granddaughter KELSEY, and she is a cheerleader at NEASE High School up in St Augustine.  This whole Pandemic thing has affected every high school in the State.  Even the cheerleaders had to make adjustments to keep themselves safe in our strange new normal.  Kelsey is my oldest grandbaby...and I probably owe my life to her.  This one little baby changed my life, and she made me realize that life offers so much more than a oblong pigskin being tossed and run up and down a 100 yard field of grass.  Unknown to me, I have changed my coaching style along with Kelsey's arrival.  I may have a little more patience with my athletes, and I may approach problem solving a little differently.  Without Kelsey changing my life, I would probably not be writing this...I probably would have been dead.  God knows what he is doing for sure.  

Kelsey and Kirby....Football Sisters.  


You know....I was a pretty lousy father when I think about it.  Because of my obsession with my football, my two kids were raised on the athletic fields..  Both of my kids (Kristin and Michael) practically learned how to walk on the gridiron.  I remember them missing Halloween because we spent too mush time at the practice field preparing for an opponent.  We never had fancy family vacations because of my obligations to my football family over the summer. The one vacation we did have was to South Bend Indiana to see the Notre Dame campus.  I was obsessed with football, and I do regret it...sort of. 

Kristin....My Daughter.  

This is my daughter Kristin...do you think she and Kelsey look alike?  As much as I regret raising my kids on the athletic field, Kristin and Joe (her husband) and doing the same thing with their kids.  Kristin has told me that she probably had/has hundreds of brothers over the years, and she never had to worry too much with her football family (coaching staff) looking after her at school.  Coaching does have advantages for a father.  

Kristin will be mad at me for posting a photo of her without permission.  I don't care....I will take my chances.  

Later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment