Thursday, August 6, 2020

Too Young For Decisions


One bad thing about getting older is that no one really asks for your advice anymore.  I guess our old-school answers may no longer have much value to the newer generation.  Yes....sometimes the younger generation will listen to you, but I am not  sure how many will actually "HEAR" you.  I remember my Dad used to say: "I'm Just A Dumbass"  and I never really understood what he was talking about.  Today was different though...today I got to play a different role....today I got to play  "PawPaw" and my experience and advice was asked for.  Felt good to be heard.  

This is my Grandson Grice.  He is the 8 year old son of my daughter Kristin and her husband Joe.  They all live in St Augustine about 2.5 hours up the road.  My boy Grice (Dawg) is quite the baseball athlete himself...he has been playing travel ball this summer all over North Florida.  He is a catcher and center fielder, and he also swings a pretty wicked bat.  Obviously, his coaches want him to continue playing baseball this fall, and I think there may be a little pressure for him to do so.  Truthfully, this is kind of pissing me off.  

Today I got a phone call from his dad wanting some advice.  Like I stated earlier, Grice is feeling a little pressure to play baseball, but his Dad Joe (A former QB who played for me at SRHS) is a second year youth league football coach.  Obviously, he wants his own son to play some football and be introduced to the sport.  I could not agree more.  My feeling is that GRICE may LOVE to play tackle football, but then again, he may not...he won't know until you introduce the sport to him.  When Grice finishes the season, he will be able to say if he likes it or not.  If not, then he can always go back to baseball....even if its regular Little League.  Don't put any more pressure on the boy.  Sounds funny huh?  Especially coming from me. Apparently people take this travel baseball thing pretty seriously.  

I am a football coach no doubt....and I know his daddy is a football guy too. I won't lie, I would LOVE to see Grice play some football.  I would have something else to talk about with him. Maybe I could even offer some tips.and coach him up myself!!!  NO....WAIT.... I would not do that.  I would stay in the end zone with my daughter Kristin (who is a female version of myself) and just watch....and keep my overbearing mouth shut.  I just want to be PawPaw......not Coach PawPaw.  

Later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment