Sunday, October 21, 2018

Bye Week Ramble


Its been a weird week.  Since this past week was a 'bye' in our schedule, we have all had a few days off from football.  After our brutal victory over Treasure Coast last week, Coach Jankowski (Coach J) decided we all could use a break; afterall, we have been going strong all through the summer, and nine weeks into the season.(including kickoff classic)  Here was our schedule last week after the game.

Saturday-Off
Sunday: Off
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Practice (Shells Only)
Wednesday:  Practice (Shells Only)
Thursday: Practice (Shells Only)
Friday: Off
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off 

We actually had three very good days of practice last week.  Coach J used this time for us to get back to basics, re-install our offense, and generally clean up any loose ends.  We ran some tempo so the kids could run a little bit to keep up their conditioning, but contact was very, very limited. This time gave us a chance to rest, recharge, heal some injuries, and get our legs back under us.  I for one was very thankful for the idle time....even though my wife would disagree.  I think I would drive Marty crazy around the house if I did not have football.

On Friday night.....even though we were off, eight varsity coaches showed up at Lawnwood Stadium in Ft Pierce to watch Central vs Sebastian square off.  These teams are the next two regular season opponents for us, and they happen to be playing each other.  We all sat up in the stands in regular clothing (non team gear) and just chilled and watched the game.  At halftime, me, Randy Bethel and Kendrick Willis, went to the Sebastian endzone to see the coaches of our former team.  It was great seeing a few of my longtime colleagues, but I was definitely uncomfortable.....I no longer belonged there.  But, thats OK.  I am now a Vero Beach Fighting Indian.  I will be very comfortable when Sebastian comes to our place in two weeks, but first we must prepare for district rival Ft. Pierce Central....another challenge in our brutal schedule.  Don't let their record fool you.  This team has lots of talent and they could jump up and bite us if we overlook them.


Early last week, I treated all my kids (running backs) to Outback Steak House for a unit dinner.  Bobby, Daonovan, Logan, Bryan, and Jordan.....and team manager Waylon all had a good meal together and enjoyed the companionship.  It tuned out to be a great teaching opportunity for me as well.  We actually had two older couples stop by our table to chat.  Both couples followed us closely, and both couples were boosters as well.  My boys were all very polite and well mannered.  I used this chance to explain why VB Football players are always under scrutiny when out in public, and acting right is so important to the program....because you never know who is watching.  I was so proud of my kids that night.  

===================================================================

Mike and Mason 

Mason Smiling  


Loves Big  Military Trucks 

Mason Loves Dinosaurs 

Dinosaur Jones  

Most of you know my son is a military man who is based at Ft Carson Colorado.  Mike and his wife Alex had this baby Mason...who is of course my grandson.  I don't get to see him as often as I would like to, but apparently Mason is all boy.  He likes boy's stuff.....like dinosaurs,  trucks, cars, tools, and anything mechanical.  This of course makes me very happy.  Maybe, he will know how to check his own oil in his truck someday.  Could save himself a lot of money.  

GZ  

No comments:

Post a Comment