Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Living The Dream



I am not sure what it is, but my alarm clock seems to go off earlier and earlier each year.  Football season means very long days for me.  Most of you know that I do have a regular job along with being a football coach.  My family business is called "Sebastian Blinds and Shutters" and we have been in business for since 1984.  We sell custom made Plantation Shutters, Blinds, Shades, and Draperies....this is how I support my family,  and it also affords me the chance to fulfill my passion....coaching high school football.  I am so thankful for this.  After football, I am back to work at my business until late in the evening....every day.  People often ask me:  "What comes first, the business or football?"  I think we all know the answer to that crazy question.  

After the alarm goes off, I usually lay in bed for a minute and try to get everything working again.  My knees ache, my ankles are sore, my shoulders are sore, my hands are stiff, and I usually have a headache.  I get dressed in practice clothes I usually have ready to go from the night before.  I make my morning stop at Cumberland Farms to grab a Diet Dr. Pepper (I allow myself one soda a day) and a large Iced Tea in a foam cup .  I will stop by my office for a hour or so, then I will make my way to school for the morning workout.  I usually meet my buddy Pete Deluke at the locker room door, and together we get the water machines ready for the morning workout.  The kids are supposed to have their own water (Covid 19 thing) ...but we have ours ready for emergency purposes.  We are NOT  practicing at this point, we are simply conditioning our kids to get ready for the actual start (we hope) of our season on August 24th.  At this point, I am usually wondering why I put myself through this every year?  


The practice field is empty when I arrive.  The kids have not started filing in yet, so I usually snake walk the entire field every morning.  My shoes get soaked with the dew that covers the field on these early humid Florida mornings.  It's hot...Its wet, and our state bird (The mosquito) makes its presence known in swarms as they bite at my legs.  The smell of the freshly cut grass permeates my nostrils while I walk the lines of our field.. then I realize:  

There is no place I would rater be.  

Later  

1 comment: